March Financial Statements and Month to Month Comparison

How is it April already? This year is absolutely flying by, and I have found myself a bit more of free time as my busy season at work is finally starting to slow down. I survived another one! Now let's see how my finances have fared...


Comparison





Not too bad I must say. With me just getting back into real life, having a little more free time and in turn spending some more of my own money, I anticipated slower growth in my cash position. My cash actually had a very nice bump since last month, even when you take into account the increase in my credit card debt that just hasn't yet hit the payment date. Net of the increase in my credit balances, I'm up about $2,000 in cash. If I can keep that up, I'll have plenty of cash to deploy when I get back into doing some investment research in my newfound downtime.

I've got a little bump in my taxable investments, but there really hasn't been too much movement there. I've made minimal purchases outside of my 401k and IRA accounts lately, so this does not come as a surprise to me at all. The little growth I have experienced here is due to the effect of dividend reinvestment. Similarly, the retirement account increase is the result of steady 401k contributions, and the beginning of my IRA contributions for the 2019 tax year.

One thing to note - I've moved from contributing to both my traditional and Roth IRAs, which I did during 2018, to just my Roth IRA this year. I'm unsure how significant my raise will be at work this year, and how significantly dividend increases will affect my income in 2019, so I just want to be safe and ensure I wouldn't lose any of the tax saving effect of the traditional during the year. Because of this, I have been contributing to a mix of mostly VYM (Vanguard High Dividend Yield ETF) and a smaller portion of VOO (Vanguard SP 500 ETF), as the Roth allows the compounding of the dividends to work tax free and eventually pull out tax free as well. Just a personal preference/strategy here.

My credit card debt is up a hefty amount once again this month, and for different reasons than last month. With my work and travel slowing down a bit, this is less due to reimbursable expenses, and more due to the fact that I am currently planning and booking a vacation out of the country for later in the year. Yes, I know that it's shocking, but I do spend my money a little bit (even though my friends and coworkers may think I don't). With the flights and some lodging booked, this added a good chunk of the month end number. Again though, I pay this off every month, so I'm just getting the expenses out of the way early.

All in all, March was a good month to me. My net worth grew once again, a solid 2.5%, and I'm headed into the second quarter of the year already. Time's flying, and I'm excited to see what the coming months have in store!


- FI Anon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Dividends and Reinvestment Can Protect Your Investment in a Down Market

Dividends Galore!

Weekly Watchlist - Week of July 6, 2020