Updated 1/31/19 Financials and Month to Month Comparison

Hi all! Another month has gone by, and that means I've compiled a new set of personal financials. Let's go ahead and take a look at the month by month changes in my financial position since December.


Comparison





Last month, my investments were down quite a bit due to the market volatility we've been experiencing, but they've rebounded nicely for my January month end balances. Further, the increase in my taxable investments is totally driven by market gains and dividend reinvestment, as I have not made any taxable purchases during the past month. The main reason for this is that I paid my property taxes this month, around $2,500, and I just didn't have the excess cash to make any purchases. I plan to get back to making some purchases during February.

My retirement accounts saw a nice big increase this month as well, as I made a large contribution to my 401k to finish out 2018 strong (this hit my account in early January), and the investments I hold closely mirror the direction of the market as a whole.

As I wrote last month, my credit card debt fluctuates month to month based on my spending. January marked the beginning of my busy season at work, which comes with a spike in travel. Hotel stays, lunch and dinners, rental cars - these were all hitting my credit cards last month. These bills get paid off every month, however, so I make sure to avoid any interest or fees.

Overall, January was a good month for my finances. I grew my net worth 5.5% without any investment purchases other than my 401k contributions, and after paying out about $2,500 for property taxes as well. If we start getting some stability in the stock market, this should be a set up for a good February as well.

How did your first month of the new year go?

- FI Anon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Dividends and Reinvestment Can Protect Your Investment in a Down Market

Dividends Galore!

Weekly Watchlist - Week of July 6, 2020